Subject: Re: What's a bug? (was Re: booting with NCR3c875)
To: Joerg Czeranski <jc@joerch.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/30/1999 10:12:20
On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Joerg Czeranski wrote:

: I started a dummy process that keeps allocating and using memory,
: and after a while of swapping my box didn't respond anymore (no
: echo on the rlogin connection, only ping answers) and kept swapping,
: then some ten minutes later it froze.

Welcome to Mach VM.

: Is 1.3.3 already using UVM?

No.  1.4 will have UVM (and has completely nuked Mach VM).

:  And if not, can UVM cope with running out of swap space?  Can it be
: configured to use eager allocation?

It can cope with running out of swap surprisingly well.  The machine still
responds, and more importantly, it doesn't crash.  It just gets a wee bit
slower.  :>