Subject: Re: booting with NCR3c875
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/28/1999 23:49:25
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Edwin Foo wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried booting an AlphaPC 164
> motherboard off of a Diamond Fireport 40 (NCR 53c875-based) UW-SCSI adapter
> and SCSI-3 HD? The systems description on the web site says that some older
> console firmware revisions cannot boot off of the newer NCR parts, and then
> elsewhere it mentions that the NCR 53c810 driver is buggy. Are there any
> "gotchas" I need to know about regarding these or other issues?

I don't belive the NCR driver is buggy for the 53c875. I've been using an
ASUS 875 based card in my AlphaPC 164SX for about a year with NetBSD. I've
never had one problem except that it currently runs in wide and not
ultra-wide with my Barracuda. Probably some setting somewhere, never
bothered to look.

> thanks,
> Edwin

/Andreas