Subject: Re: Booting a Cabriolet
To: System Administrator <admin@pentium.neuimage.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/26/1999 23:15:25
On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 07:47:35PM -0700, System Administrator wrote:
> I just got Net BSD 1.4 ALPHA to install on my Alpha 21064A PC 64
> Cabriolet, and now, I can't get it to boot.
> I have an Adaptec 2940 SCSI Card, with a 4.3 gig drive, but the SRM
> doesn't see anything other than
>
> DVA0
> EWA0 - which is my ethernet card
>
> I was going to try to make a boot floppy, but I don't know how or where to
> get that.

What do you _mean_ when you say "I just got Net BSD 1.4 ALPHA to
install..." if you don't even have a boot floppy?

The Cabriolet won't boot from an Adaptec.  If you want to boot from your
SCSI disk, you're going to need a NCR53c810 or 53c825-based card or a
Qlogic ISP card.  On the other hand, you could use the boot floppy from
the distribution to install your machine, and then boot NetBSD from the
floppy disk but run from the SCSI hard drive.

But whatever you're going to do, first you need a boot floppy.  There is
one in the distribution on ftp.netbsd org -- I suggest you get it onto
a floppy disk and start from there...