Subject: RE: 2nd Announcement: cheap fast Alpha PC164 boards available
To: 'Tracy J. Di Marco White' <gendalia@iastate.edu>
From: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1999 13:35:57
Yeah, it seems that we'll have to use true parity memory - personal
work either.

It's still a decent deal though, compared to buying a Pentium II-350 +
motherboard + SDRAM. Here's the numbers I worked out:

AlphaPC164 + CPU = $200
128 MB ECC FPM 72-pin SIMMS (8*32MB) ~= $650
Total = $850

Pentium II 400 MHz ~= $275
Slot 1 Motherboard ~= $150
128 MB PC100 SDRAM ~= $200
Total = $625

Okay, so the P2 is $225 cheaper, give or take $50. I picked the P2-400
because it seems to have somewhat similar SpecInt95 numbers, according to
what information I could find on websites. I'm also told by other DECies
that the Alpha compilers got better since the SpecInt95 results were
published. (NOTE: This is all seat-of-the-pants speculation, researched by
visiting a web site or two for published prices and benchmarks. Don't flame
me for having wrong numbers. Just correct me)

And of course, Alpha SpecFP95 blew the P2 away. And I intend to figure out
how to get Quake II working. :-) just kidding. In any case, it's not too bad
a deal, excluding the business with the ATX power supply. I just wish a
cheaper source of ECC RAM was around.

-Edwin

-----
Edwin Foo - Compaq Cambridge Research Laboratory
<efoo@crl.dec.com> [O] (617) 551-7612 [F] (617) 551-7650