Subject: Re: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/16/1999 16:32:59
In article <Pine.NEB.4.05.9904150425300.6626-100000@sloth.metonymy.com>,
Dave Huang  <khym@bga.com> wrote:
> And finally, if anyone has info on how to hack a standard ATX power
> supply to work with the PC164, please let me know. Opinions on the
> safety of doing so are welcome too :) While I consider myself adept at
> hardware hacking (mmm, love the smell of that rosin core solder ;), if a
> botched mod is likely to fry my new motherboard, I'll just buy the right
> power supply :)

A few days ago looked at the spec, and came up with the following:
Looking at the end of the connector:

		 	  PIN #		 PIN #

			    1	[] <]	  11
			    .	<] []      .
			    .	<] []	  13 GND	(Black)
			    .	[] <] L	  14 PS_ON#	(Green)
			    .	[] <] A    .
			    .	<] [] T    .
			    .	<] [] C    .
			    .	[] <] H    .
	    (Purple) +5VSB  9	[] <]      .
			   10	<] []     20

(Note colors may vary, so count to be sure. There are several ground, I
just picked one that is convenient)

The simple hack is to connect GND to PS_ON#. I tsested this with a power
supply and it works for me. YMMV.

if you like, you can use +5VSB to power a circuit to do something
fancier, like use the momentary power button from the case to control
power. +5VSB is alwways on when the power supply is receiving AC power,
even if it is "off".

I'm thinking we should come up with an agreed-upon standard for a
connector that taps off those three lines. A power supply modified in
that way will function normally, or one can plug in a dongle that loops
GND and PS_ON# for simple alpha use, or later plug in a circuit that
does something fancier, like use the momentary case power switch to
control power. You can get arbitrarily carried away, then. Maybe hook up
to a parallel or serial port to allow the system to power itself off.