Subject: Re: More newbie questions about the PC164
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/15/1999 20:01:42
As Dave Huang wrote ...
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial query... got a couple
> more questions that I couldn't find the answer to:
>
> While I really doubt I'd actually want to do this, would it be possible
> to dual-boot these into NetBSD and Windoze NT? According to the
> NetBSD/alpha FAQ, NetBSD wants the SRM firmware and NT wants the ARC
> firmware, so I'm guessing the answer is no...

You can only do this by re-flashing the firmware into the console flash
rom. Not recommended to do this every 5 secs I'd say. According to the
manual this Alpha board can only hold either the ARC or the SRM, not
both. You might have seen Alpha machines that can switch ARC and SRM
by using a console command. This one cannot apparantly.

> Also according to the FAQ, only the TGA framebuffer is supported by the
> X server... approx. how much are these? I don't really care about X, but
> if they're cheap, I might get one. If they're hundreds of dollars, I'll
> just get a $15 cheapo VGA card and forget about X for now :)

Mine was only US$ 12 at a scrap sale (a ZLXp-E3) but you need to
be lucky I guess. I have yet to try it with any X server so I can't
tell how well it works (OK, I tested it with D-Unix to check the hardware)

> And finally, if anyone has info on how to hack a standard ATX power
> supply to work with the PC164, please let me know. Opinions on the
> safety of doing so are welcome too :) While I consider myself adept at
> hardware hacking (mmm, love the smell of that rosin core solder ;), if a
> botched mod is likely to fry my new motherboard, I'll just buy the right
> power supply :)

I'm not sure what adaptations are needed, it could just be the on/off
stuff or so. Maybe Thor has more info on this subject. In the
meantime I'd suggest to get the manual from www.digital.com, somewhere
under the OEM/Alpha section. As it is not a current product you need to
dig a bit, I think it is in the documentation archives section of OEM.

Groeten / Cheers,
Wilko