Subject: many cheap PC164 boards -- gret for NetBSD
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/11/1999 16:46:01
I've found a source of very cheap AlphaPC164 motherboards, with 500MHz CPU.

They have no memory, and no case or power supply (they take ECC FPM DRAM,
*not* SDRAM, and have 8 SIMM slots of which either 4 or 8 must be filled
with the same size parts) -- they should fit in standard ATX cases, but
require a special power supply ($70-$90, details available) which has a
normal "hard" power switch instead of the ATX "soft" switch.

There is absolutely *no* warranty or guarantee, and the boards are as-is --
though (if you trust me) I can tell you that they come from what I'd call a
very reliable source.  They'll cost around $150-$200/ea, plus shipping.

I'm very unlikely to make any money from this; I'm mentioning it here because
NetBSD/alpha runs great on these boards and, aside from the new 21264-based
systems, they're actually some of the fastest systems NetBSD runs on, period.
I'd like to see more people running NetBSD/alpha and I see this as a good
opportunity to help the interested do so for cheap.

I'm going to do a bulk purchase of these boards in the near future -- let
me know in the next few days if you're intersted.

Thor

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"