Subject: Re: the 'hanging' mount...an update
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/11/1999 13:34:48
>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:

Curt> Well, the ones that get fast responses tend to be the ones with
Curt> fixes. :-) Your NCR PR, sadly, is sort of at the extreme
Curt> opposite end; the driver has been known to be flakey for years
Curt> (I've certainly been having a lot of trouble with it, on and
Curt> off, for four years or so now), and it needs a complete
Curt> rewrite. We've known this for ages. If nobody's stepped up to do
Curt> it in the past few years, chances are that one more PR is not
Curt> going to suddenly make someone jump up and do it. So it's not
Curt> you, it's just that you appear to run in to the nastiest
Curt> problems that require the most work.

It would be really cool if there were somebody who was knowledgeable
about what PR's are in the database, who could respond to the
submitter in a case like this with, "Sorry, but this one is probably
going to take a long time; see PR's 5, 24, 389, 2048, ..."  :)

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu