Subject: Re: DigitalServer 3305 status & PCI 10/100 Ethernet cards?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Paul H. Anderson <pha@pdq.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/09/1999 15:43:53
On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999 01:38:31 -0700
>
>  > So, it seems that the GENERIC kernel does not have a driver that recognizes
>  > this chip. What's the current "best of breed" (i.e. not brain-damaged) PCI
>  > 10/100 Ethernet cards that NetBSD will drive well?
>
> 3Com 3c905B, Intel EtherExpress PRO 100+, VIA Rhine-based cards
> (D-Link DFE 530-TX for example), or genuine Tulips, if you can find them.

Which of these cards have been demonstrably reliable in a 164LX?  I am
getting the idea that the 164LX is a special enough case that most general
answers don't necessarily apply to it.  Case in point: the etherexpress
(S82557/L5482857/SZ758 on the main chip) I tried hangs my 164LX.  Bernd
says he has at least tried a 3C509B in his 164LX - any other feedback on
this, particularly folks who have stress tested them?

Also, there are several variations on Etherexpress pro (A, B, and plus, I
guess) how about the 3COM 3C905B?

Does anyone want to buy 9 rackmount and one tower case 164LX/533MHz/1GB
RAM systems?  Located in Ann Arbor, MI.

Paul

| Paul Anderson           Public Data Queries, Inc.    |
| pha@pdq.com             734-213-4964(W) 994-3734(H)  |