Subject: Re: 'hanging' mount problem 'fixed'? Forklift Upgrade....
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/07/1999 20:54:29
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:32:32 -0700 (PWT)
 Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

 > My kernels were always really current too. It's the user space bits that
 > have hit the problem.

Did you preserve those user space bits, or pinpoint EXACTLY what they were
doing differently that caused them to lose?

 > (you done with brunner then?)

No, actually.  I'm sick as a dog (NASTY cold, unfortunate timing), and
caught the early express train back to San Francisco, where I am currently
parked on the sofa with a hot cup of tea and a warm blanket, listening to
KQED.  After I get a bite to eat, I'm gonna huff down to Cala and get a
bottle of Nyquil.  I am taking a sick day tomorrow :-)

 > > ...well, that's ... unclear, considering that you never pinpointed exactly
 > > what the problem was.
 > >

 > True- I *did* pinpoint the source changes that caused it- and I *did*
 > narrow it down to subshells within /etc/rc. If it had been *just* me, I
 > would just write it off with an apology, but because at least one other
 > person had the issue, I'd just be a bit uneasy about COMPAT_13.

No you didn't... Because you never commented out the part of pmap_enter()
that makes the rest of those changes do anything and see if the problem
still exists, i.e. if that was actually the problem.  You didn't pinpoint
the system call or fault or whatever that caused the hang to occur.  Note
that the other person that observes this can get it to happen without
/etc/rc subshells.  In other words, all you did was find "evidence" to
support your theory, but you didn't actually provide anything to make
me believe that your theory is in any way correct (especially considering
that I wrote a very large portion of the Alpha pmap module, and know
precisely what the change you're pointing at does and how it works).

The point I'm trying to make here is that you're getting upset as "us"
for not dealing with the problem, when we have no real information to
go on because we can't reproduce it, and you haven't provided any actual
info other than "I think this is what caused it".. and now we'll never
get that info because you added variables (updated your userland) and
now can't get the problem to occur.  That's just nonsense.