Subject: Re: the 'hanging' mount...an update
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/07/1999 08:26:06
I have just a couple of general comments on this:

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I didn't send-pr things like this because:
>
> 	a) it's right at the fork- a lot of people might be paying
> 	attention to the current state of affairs, and PR's are to be
> 	reported against *releases* (I would think).

No; PRs can and should be reported against anything.

> 	b) the pr's I file tend to not be responded to (remember the
> 	ncr bug? I've filed a couple of other alpha related ones that
> 	seemed to languish too). Maybe I don't file good enough reports-
> 	but the lack of response doesn't encourage me to file more..

Well, the ones that get fast responses tend to be the ones with
fixes. :-) Your NCR PR, sadly, is sort of at the extreme opposite
end; the driver has been known to be flakey for years (I've certainly
been having a lot of trouble with it, on and off, for four years
or so now), and it needs a complete rewrite. We've known this for
ages. If nobody's stepped up to do it in the past few years, chances
are that one more PR is not going to suddenly make someone jump up
and do it. So it's not you, it's just that you appear to run in to
the nastiest problems that require the most work.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org