Subject: Re: 1.4 Alpha snapshot coming?
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/06/1999 20:35:44
As Curt Sampson wrote ...
> On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Kevin wrote:
>
> > I don't have the drivespace, or patience, to compile the source.
>
> That's all right. Just an install and use helps quite a lot.
>
> > I will try to test 1.4 alpha on my box if a snapshot is made
> > available.  Unfortunately, I doubt that will be helpful to the developers
> > because the code updates and bug fixes will happen too rapidly.
>

> BTW, for those with multias or other such atrocities, if you're
> interested in something faster there are some EB64 boards with 275
> MHz CPUs available at www.computersurplusoutlet.com for $199, which
> is not too bad a deal. (These should be significantly faster than

They are significantly faster. My Aspen Alpine (~= EB64) makes world
on FreeBSD approx 4 to 5x faster than my NoName. Not much of a benchmark,
but it gives an indication.

> Multias, or any other 21066 based machine.) You'll need a 5V/3V
> PSU for these, which is ridiculously expensive from them (an extra
> $100), but you may be able to find another distributor with such
> a thing. I picked up such a PSU with a case for Cdn$75 a while

Sjee. Where are have all the hardware hackers gone ... ? ;-) My Aspen
suffered from the same problem. You can build a 5V -> 3.3V power supply
for approx 15 US$. Get yourself a Linear Technology LT1083 low drop
voltage regulator, a few caps and a good heatsink. Grab the AppNote from
LTs website and off you go. Works like a charm.

Groeten / Cheers,
Wilko