Subject: Re: 1.4 Alpha snapshot coming?
To: Kevin <kev@drule.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/05/1999 22:31:34
On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Kevin wrote:

> I don't have the drivespace, or patience, to compile the source.

That's all right. Just an install and use helps quite a lot.

> I will try to test 1.4 alpha on my box if a snapshot is made
> available.  Unfortunately, I doubt that will be helpful to the developers
> because the code updates and bug fixes will happen too rapidly.

Not true at all! You have your own hardware and your own usage
patterns; it's not at all improbable that, even late in the game,
you'll discover something that needs to be fixed and hasn't been
yet. `There are plenty of bugs to go around.' :-)

Unfortunately, I can't build the alpha stuff this time around
because my AXPpci33s and I are separated by several thousand
kilometers at this juncture. I hope someone else will do the deed.

BTW, for those with multias or other such atrocities, if you're
interested in something faster there are some EB64 boards with 275
MHz CPUs available at www.computersurplusoutlet.com for $199, which
is not too bad a deal. (These should be significantly faster than
Multias, or any other 21066 based machine.) You'll need a 5V/3V
PSU for these, which is ridiculously expensive from them (an extra
$100), but you may be able to find another distributor with such
a thing. I picked up such a PSU with a case for Cdn$75 a while
back.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.