Subject: Re: mount hangs
To: None <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/30/1999 17:01:56
> From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
> To: port-alpha@netbsd.org
> Subject: mount hangs
>
> Since Saturday, I've been unable to get into multi-user on my AlphaPC164SX
> with a new kernel built with source sup'ed each day (including today).
> I revert back to the kernel I built Thursday (Mar 25) and a user-land
> built Wednesday (Mar 24).
>
> In single user, if I type "mount<cr>" it hangs with no output, and no
> amount of keyboard activity can seem to get any attention save a break
> into DB.
>
> I tracked it to the mount call used in mount_critical_filesystems in the
> start-up rc stuff.
>
> With my old kernel, I get "root_device /dev/wd0a ...\n" from "mount."

Hmm, we've been building kernels with no problems. Are you updating
your /etc too? (I rarely do that, and the stock rc script has been
churned a bit recently. It sounds like you might be running it. Is
there an NFS or ifconfig dependency that's happening in the wrong
order now?)

Does a new kernel work with the old userland?  An old mount with the
otherwise new stuff?