Subject: Re: Dual SCSI, single chain?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/30/1999 00:25:59
As Greg A. Woods wrote ...
> [ On Monday, March 29, 1999 at 07:25:12 (-0500), Curt Sampson wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Dual SCSI, single chain?

> > > everything right in theory there are some fairly tricky timing issues,
> > > not to mention that SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 devices which barely meet their
> > > own requirements are unlikely to meet the more stringent requirements
> > > necessary for Ultra and Ultra-2 speeds (even if they're off at the
> > > "narrow" end of a bus).
> >
> > But they won't be using the bus during the sync. phase of the Ultra
> > or Ultra-2 devices. That's the whole point of SCSI backwards
> > compatability, and why it works.
>
> As Wilko says, there are a multitude of factors that may prevent these
> things from working.  I've got at least one Digtial Expansion Chassis
> which will not co-exist on the average bus with any FAST-20 devices.

You did read the docs that come with the Storageworks shelf did you?

First pitfall: no termpower on the bus, no communication with the shelve's
devices at all.
Second pitfall: do a 1:1 connection from the SCSI HA to the shelve.
And nothing else. No mix with internal flat cables, no daisy chaining
multiple shelves.
Third pitfall: you have a differential personality module in you shelf.
Solution obvious.

Groeten / Cheers,
Wilko