Subject: Re: Dual SCSI, single chain?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/29/1999 23:26:53
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, der Mouse wrote:

> ...I realized I was idly toying with the (external)
> terminator, did a double-take, and checked - and found the SCSI chain
> was completely unterminated at the away-from-host end.  And neither the
> host nor the disk seemed to care.  (I've also seen SCSI busses work fine
> when terminated at both ends *and* at some intermediate device.  I even
> saw one mostly-work when "terminated" at *four* points.)

Actually, one of the things I seem to recall reading in the SCSI
FAQ is that if your bus length is 60 cm or less, you can `get away
with murder.' That may be why I tend to get such good results; I
tend to build fairly short cables (that incidently ususally
outrageously violate the spacing dictum--often I put less than
10 cm of cable between drives).

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.