Subject: Re: Dual SCSI, single chain?
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/29/1999 21:31:17
On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Look Curt, you said at least one thing wrong, and gave a whole lot of
> other rather misleading and incomplete advice.

No, you did. I'll admit I flubbed on the negotiation between two
wide devices separated by a narrow cable. But I have personally
tried pretty much everything else I described and seen it work.
To say you `can't' do any of that stuff is Just Wrong. If you've
got some crappy parts combining some fo this stuff may not work,
but then again, if you've got crappy parts even avoiding these
combinations does not mean anything will work.

> As Wilko says, there are a multitude of factors that may prevent these
> things from working.

Right. And as he also said, he has arrangements like this that do
work that he uses himself.

> I've got at least one Digtial Expansion Chassis
> which will not co-exist on the average bus with any FAST-20 devices.

I don't see how that proves that you can never combine a slow device
and fast device, or whatever.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.