Subject: alpha support for Ultra DMA EIDE?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Paul H. Anderson <pha@pdq.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/15/1999 11:27:51
I need to buy a bunch of IDE drives - is it worth getting 7200 RPM Ultra
DMA drives for my alpha 164LX motherboards?  That is, will there be a
substantial speed improvement over a typical 5400 rpm drive?  The main
data drives in these boxes are a pair of IBM 9ZX 10K RPM drives that will
be in a ccd array, so I want my boot disk to not slow me down under any
circumstances.

I'm getting about 8.5 MB/sec read/write for sequential I/O on the 5400 rpm
drive.  My 10K rpm drives give my 16-18 MB/sec, so there is some room for
improvement.

Paul

| Paul Anderson           Public Data Queries, Inc.    |
| pha@pdq.com             734-213-4964(W) 994-3734(H)  |