Subject: Re: fuword
To: None <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/10/1999 15:50:34
> From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
>
> Anyone able to tell me why fuword is not present in the libs the kernel is
> linked against?
> ld -N -Ttext fffffc0000300000 -e __transfer -G 4 -S -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ}
> vers.o
> if_spppsubr.o: In function `sppp_params':
> if_spppsubr.c(.text+0x8310): undefined reference to `fuword'
> if_spppsubr.c(.text+0x8314): undefined reference to `fuword'
>
> This is a system built completely from sources out of the 02/20 tarball, i.e.
> 1.3I

I'm going to guess that if_spppsubr.c (what is that, anyway? synch ppp?)
is manually fetching an ioctl(2) parameter?  Such parameters are handled
automagically in BSD kernels. If this is the case, you really should fix
that interface to do ioctl(2) like all the other interfaces, where the
kernel provides the data for you. (For the BSD mechanism to work, the
ioctl must be defined our way, with the size and direction of the param
encoded in the request.)

To answer your exact question: fuword(9) is in locore.s, but is #if 0'ed
right now because there are no MI callers in our tree. I'll try the code
and let you know how it works.

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org