Subject: Re: AlphaPC 164LX, bis
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/25/1999 05:59:48
On Wed Feb 24 23:33:27 1999, der Mouse wrote:
[..]
> The problem is, it won't boot from it.
>
> The machine has two IDE controllers.  There is only one disk, which is
> jumpered as master and cabled to one of the controllers.
>
> "sh dev" shows dqa0 and dqa1 (the floppy and the network - dva0 and, if
> memory serves, ewa0).  Attempting to boot from dqa0 produces a
> complaint that it can't send a Read request; trying dqa1 loads and
> starts the primary boot, which then prints something and immediately
> clears the screen.  I *think* what it's printing is a similar complaint
> about being unable to send a Read request, but it's very hard to be
> sure.

UPDATE the firmware to v5.3, the 5.2 is buggy when you want to use ide
drives.
Put the fwupdate.exec file on an msdos formarted disk and then enter
fwupdate at the SRM console and follow the steps to update the firmware.

Oh, and you need to compile a new kernel to boot automatically from the
ide drive. I can send you diffs if you don't want to use a really -current
kernel or make a diff between rev 1.27 and 1.28 of
src/sys/arch/alpha/alpha/dec_eb164.c.

You can still boot with srm v5.3 when you enter wd0a at the prompt after
it print that it can't boot from "SCSI 11" or "IDE 11".

Bernd