Subject: Re: Multia secondary boot stage failure
To: None <jonl@yubyub.net, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/18/1999 17:30:23
: From: Jon Lindgren <jonl@yubyub.net>

> After successfully loading NetBSD-1.3.3 onto a multia, the secondary boot
> seems to fail.  Everything formatted and loaded correctly, and the primary
> and secondary boot loaders load...  it fails when trying to open netbsd,
> gives me a large dump [of what looks to be the machine state] and returns
> me to a debugger (which prompts Eh? to me...).
>
> Any ideas?

If that happened to me, I suppose I would boot the install floppy again,
fsck -f/dev/rsd0a, mount /dev/sd0a on /mnt, and ls -ls /mnt/netbsd, just
to make sure I (or sysinst) had d/l'ed and unpacked kern.tgz correctly.
I might even just unpack it by hand again into /mnt.

But if all that checks out we may need to get the exact console error
printout from you to be of any more help. You might want to unplug your
keyboard and use a serial console to capture that.

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org