Subject: RE: Installation of 22 Jan snapshot
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/1999 11:08:40
On 14-Feb-99 Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no spoke unto us all:
#  3) The sysinst program from the Jan 22 snapshot is the new one
#     where output from the individual commands are collected and shown
#     in a "window" (I installed from a serial console).  When it came
#     time to fetch the distribution via ftp, the ftp command failed.
#     It appeared that an "extra" single quote character appeared in
#     the command line, and the ftp program got mightily confused.
#     (Can this command earlier have been passed through the shell
#     where the quoting was removed?)  Also noticed that the ftp
#     command is too long to be shown in only 80 characters, so it
#     wasn't possible to exactly copy down all the arguments to the ftp
#     command.

Hrmm..  You may have just stumbled on one of the problems people might be
having..  I'll have to check for nasty single quotes in the ftp commands.

#
#  A general comment on the new sysinst -- it seemed a little excessive
#  to require an interactive response for each and every external
#  command that is being executed -- this certainly incresed the need
#  to sit attentive by the console as the installation proceeded.
#

Good point.. The idea was so that people could see what happened, rather than
have it flash off thier screens right away, but I can see how it gets
annoying..  Perhaps I will throw a timer on it, and continue on if nothing is
typed in say 5 seconds..

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org