Subject: Re: X?
To: None <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/11/1999 14:25:59
: From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>

> I didn't see this in the FAQ, so I guess it means I'm doing something
> wrong:
>
> I recently installed the 19990122 snapshot, with the 19981016 X since
> there was no X with the newer snapshot.  But X won't run:  "Device not
> configured", plus lots of unaligned accesses.  Is that because wscons
> support isn't in the older snapshot?  Does this mean I need to compile
> X myself?  If wscons is the reason it won't work, then where are all
> the unaligned accesses coming from?

Sadly, this is more a matter of ``We did something wrong''. (Or at least,
``something else''. :-)

The X server doesn't work in that snapshot, and we never supported anything
other than 2MB TGA. Until recently, X servers weren't a high priority goal
of NetBSD/alpha, given the more fundamental issues and the fact that the
primary development funding organizations (NASA and Avalon) used big
glass-house boxes with serial consoles for everything.

Things have changed, though, and recently it has moved up around the top
of our priority list.

So (famous last words) Real Soon Now...

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org