Subject: RE: Multia "setting console to boot mode"
To: None <wvdputte@reptile.rug.ac.be>
From: Lindgren, Jon <jlindgren@SLK.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/09/1999 08:20:20

------_=_NextPart_001_01BE542F.10C68730

> ok then, try to use a fsl boot floppy by putting the jumper on the=20
> motherboard in the different setting. You can get the images=20
> of the DEC=20
> ftp site (or http://reptile.rug.ac.be/~wvdputte/udb/)
>=20

Yeah.  I figured that was the next route, and I did that yesterday
afternoon.  I threw 3.8-3 firmware on, and that solved things.  It even =
made
with
floppy read errors, and the new firmware seems to retry the reads.

Now, however, I can't boot the installation.  I successfully installed
1.3.3.  The second stage bootloader comes up, tries to open netbsd, and
fails with a few pages of diag dump.  I'm then left in what looks to be =
debugger (I'd imaging the kernel debugger, but the kernel hasn't loaded =
yet
afaik).

Arugh?  Notes on this one definitely appreciated.  These multias are =
such
tempermental beasties.

-Jon Lindgren
=A0Spear, Leeds & Kellogg
=A0(201) 332-3577, x4391
 jlindgren@slk.com <mailto:jlindgren@slk.com>=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01BE542F.10C68730

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: Multia &quot;setting console to boot mode&quot;</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ok then, try to use a fsl boot floppy by putting =
the jumper on the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; motherboard in the different setting. You can =
get the images </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; of the DEC </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ftp site (or <A =
HREF=3D"http://reptile.rug.ac.be/~wvdputte/udb/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://reptile.rug.ac.be/~wvdputte/udb/</A>)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yeah.&nbsp; I figured that was the next route, and I =
did that yesterday afternoon.&nbsp; I threw 3.8-3 firmware on, and that =
solved things.&nbsp; It even made loading the bootfloppy easier, as the =
3.5-?? firmware has a hard time with floppy read errors, and the new =
firmware seems to retry the reads.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Now, however, I can't boot the installation.&nbsp; I =
successfully installed 1.3.3.&nbsp; The second stage bootloader comes =
up, tries to open netbsd, and fails with a few pages of diag =
dump.&nbsp; I'm then left in what looks to be a debugger (I'd imaging =
the kernel debugger, but the kernel hasn't loaded yet =
afaik).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Arugh?&nbsp; Notes on this one definitely =
appreciated.&nbsp; These multias are such tempermental beasties.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Jon Lindgren</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>=A0Spear, Leeds &amp; Kellogg</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>=A0(201) 332-3577, x4391</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;jlindgren@slk.com &lt;<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:jlindgren@slk.com">mailto:jlindgren@slk.com</A>&gt; =
</FONT>
</P>