Subject: Re: get firmware prompt
To: None <cjs@cynic.net, oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/04/1999 06:21:15
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Olli wrote:
>
> > After starting my UDB the  computer starts always NetBSD. I have no
> > chance to put some commands to the firmware prompt.
> > My Question: How to get the firmware prompt again (needed for
> > installation from floppy).
>
> Just keep hitting Ctrl-C as the firmware initialises; at some point
> it will see the Ctrl-C and go to the firmware prompt, rather than
> booting, if I recall correctly.

Good point. Also, if you install bootblocks from any of the snapshots, (or
compile up new ones from a current /sys/arch/alpha/stand) they (usually)
recognize ^C even after getting control and they exit back to SRM. I made
this change last summer or so; it isn't in the release boot blocks. The
new version also boots a lot faster, and, although not officially supported,
I'm pretty sure they will work fine if installed on a 1.3.x root. But
do _not_ try to mix versions of boot and bootxx! That is, you must cp(1)
the new boot to / and run installboot(8) with a matching bootxx.

        Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org