Subject: Re: Alpha 1.3I snapshot
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/04/1999 09:27:30
>> From: "Christian Groessler" <cpg@aladdin.de>
>>
>> Now that all is fine ( :-) ) this opens another question for me (being
>> a NetBSD newbie):
>>
>> What's the difference btw. the snapshot and the current -current?
>> Or _is_ the snapshot -current of the time of the snapshot?
>
>Right the second time ... the idea: it's a binary snapshot of the development
>branch, NetBSD-current. And the releases are all based on the release
>branch, which occurs a bit before the first `one-dot' release. So, although
>1.3.3 might have slightly newer binaries than a given snapshot, the snapshot
>contains all the development that happened since 1.3.
>
>Regarding the last snapshot, what's up with the passwd file problems?  I'm
>pretty sure we didn't change anything in the file formats. It seems more
>likely that the etc.tgz set was mistakenly unpacked onto an already configured
>/etc, right?

Not in my case...I scrapped the /etc tarball & re-moved mine into place. It
recognises all of my passwords, & I can do vipw, etc. I just can't use the
passwd command.

Anyone else having the telnet troubles with this snapshot that I am? Todd's
the only one who responded with suggestions, & unfortunately, I still can't
telnet into my machine.

For the guy who wanted to know how to access the SRM prompt...just do a
shutdown -h now
That'll get you where you want to be. You don't need to change your
boot_osflags to let you get there. If you're starting from an off machine,
then do what Curt mentioned & try hitting ctrl-c during the boot sequence.

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.