Subject: Re: netbooting dec3000/300
To: None <c.stevens@auckland.ac.nz, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/04/1999 06:01:58
> From: Carey Stevens <c.stevens@auckland.ac.nz>
>
> Maybe its just my luck. I have all but given up on netbooting it.
> I have downloaded version 1.3.3, and I was wondering if it was possible to
> make a boot zip disc since I have an external scsi zip drive. Can I do it
> without having a netbsd box, ie make a netbsd boot disc using my linux box?
> How?
> Thanks

The last few snapshots have supported the 3000 series in the boot images
.. the release branch does not.

And in particular, the snapshots have an image called `cdhdtape' which,
when written via the dd(1) program to a CD, HD, or tape, will make that
CD, HD, or tape directly bootable by SRM. (Yes, you can boot NetBSD from
tape these days, and no, it didn't `just work'. :-) For these purposes,
your zip drive counts as a HD. Both SCSI and SRM on 3000 series models are
a bit wierd; this all presumes that SRM won't choke on the external zip,
but I would say the odds are good enough to be worth a try.

Although this mixing of components isn't officially supported, with a little
bit of creativity you will be able to install the release by using the
install tools from the snapshot. (Or, just install the snapshot.)

	Ross.Harvey@Computer.Org