Subject: RE: newest snapshot
To: None <joe@mediaone.net>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/31/1999 23:57:52
On 31-Jan-99 Joseph Sarkes spoke unto us all:
#  There are a few glitches in the newest snapshot for the alpha,
#  at least on a dec multia. I am booting using the cd/hd disk image
#  that was in the installation directory.
#
#  I am totally unable to use the sysinst program to install the snapshot,
#  as after the file systems are made, the filesystems are then unmounted,
#  and the files that should be loaded onto the new filesystems are then
#  loaded into /mnt of the ramdisk.
<snip>
#  The kernel itself seemed to boot up ok though, and I will continue to tinker
#  with it as time permits. Hopefully this is detailed enough feedback
#  regarding
#  the snapshot that the problems can be duplicated and fixed.

Hrmm.. this worries me, because the behavior on my test machines was nothing
like this.  Would you do me a tremendous favor, and try your install again, but
this time go into the utilities menu, and turn logging on.  It will create a
sysinst.log file which will aid me *greatly* in debugging your problem.  (as a
matter of fact, thats why I put it in there.. ;)

I would also ask, that anyone planning on trying a sysinst install with 1.3I,
make a log of it, and if possible send it to me, successful or not.. so I can
see whats going on in there.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org