Subject: Re: Alpha 1.3I snapshot
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Kevin Walton <kevin@unseen.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/31/1999 17:58:14
On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I think we all get burned by the NCR chip. Currently I have case which is
> hard to repeat where null sense data is shipped back for the request
> sense associated with some command during probing.

I used to have lots of problems with the NCR chip with both 1.3.3 and the
19981016 snapshot with either an old 1Gb or a modern 4Gb SCSI drive
internally or externally.

I then changed the 74F623 as per:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/faq.html#multia-heat-death

and I havent had a NCR problem since and the system has now been up for
over a month.

Dont know if the NCR chip is affected by heat possibly or if it's totally
unrelated but it certanily solved all my problems.

Cheers
Kev

--
Kevin Walton 					Fax: +44 (0)870 1640411
UnSeen.org	 	  The future Was bright, the future Was Orange.