Subject: Re: Success with Aspen Alpine
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/10/1999 22:53:37
As Thor Lancelot Simon wrote...
> On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 03:48:58PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > As Matthew Jacob wrote...
> >
> > > Excellent!
> >
> > There are a number of things I have not tested yet. E.g. the Alpine has
> > 3 PCI slots instead of 2 for the EB64+. But the EB64+ SRM did not care to
> > much about that, so it could very well be that NetBSD is of the same
> > opinion ;-)
>
> It's not clear to me that it's possible for SRM or NetBSD to care.  They
> just see devices on the PCI bus; they have no way of knowing, AFAIK, how
> many physical connectors are wired on to the board.

Well, I could imagine that the SRM did some powerup sanity check to see if all
devices it expects are present. In the case of the Alpine it would then
fall over because it won't find the Ethernet chip the EB64+ onboard.
Apparantly (fortunately for me ;-) it does not seem to bother to do so.

NetBSD will probably don't care, I agree.

Wilko