Subject: Re: hardware help w/DEC 3000/300x
To: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
From: Dave Cherkus <cherkus@homerun.unimaster.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/1998 10:38:22
Ross Harvey writes:
> You need to unplug the keyboard. If you do that, the firmware will communicate
> via the serial port.

I know this is how the PCI-based systems work, but you may also find
you have to physically remove the graphics card from the turbochannel
slot to get the console to use the serial port.

I know the 3000-500 has a small switch on the back to get a serial
console.  This is because it has an on-board graphics chip so you
can't remove it.  IIRC all other turbochannel boxes expect you to
pull the graphics board (but then again it's been a while since
I did anything with a bird system).

--
Dave Cherkus ------- UniMaster, Inc. ------ Contract Software Development
Specialties: UNIX Internals/Kernel TCP/IP Alpha Clusters Performance ISDN