Subject: Re: kernel source
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/01/1998 13:05:28
[ On Sun, November 29, 1998 at 13:33:13 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: kernel source
>
> It's called CVS bloat.  Take the number of snapshots per port on average
> times the number of ports, and that means ending up with a list of tags on
> every file comparable to those on the egcs tree.

I guess it depends on how the majority of developers utilize CVS, but I
personally have never had a problem with an abundance of tags in a CVS
module, so long as a decent naming convention is chosen so that their
meaning can be reasonably self-evident.  They are "information".  If
there's disagreement as to how useful the information is to various
people at various times, then the best solution is to find some way to
hide this information from those who don't want to see it.

There are also some policy options which can be used to limit the number
of tags kept:

In the case of snapshots, old ones could be deleted either once a new
release branch is started (implying a policy that old snapshots are
out-dated by the creation of a release).

Strictly speaking there need only be one snapshot tag per port too --
they can simply be moved forward with the next snapshot.  This would
imply the policy that snapshots are out-dated as new ones are created.

--
							Greg A. Woods