Subject: Re: wss0 at isa?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/01/1998 12:28:40
On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 11:26:07AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Andrew Gillham wrote:
>
> : Is there a particular reason why the wss* line in the various
> : kernel config files uses drq 0?
>
> The AlphaStation 200 series uses drq 0.

"Oh, speaking of which..."

...So I pulled the PCMCIA adapter from my AS200 a couple of days ago and
tried to add a 16650.  It probed, but I/O hung; I didn't have time to
determine whether it was a problem with the driver (I don't know if anyone
else has tried the COM16650 code on the Alpha) or an isacfg problem.

However, to blow away the 16650 card's isacfg stuff, I had to do a "isacfg
-init".  Unfortunately, in the latest SRM (perhaps in all AS200 SRM?) isacfg's
"init" defaults don't have the WSS *or* the PCIC in them.

I have NFC what to do about the PCIC; that's for later.  But I ran into an
interesting issue with the WSS: isacfg won't set the drq.  All the other
options work, but "-dma0" says "bad identifier" or some such; so does "-drq0"
or "-dma" or "-drq" or anything else I can think of. (so does "-zzzlose", so
the message clearly means that isacfg doesn't know about that option).  I
can't change the DRQ of the internal devices (floppy, lpt) even though
isacfg for those devices shows that there's a drq0 value set.

The WSS seems to work with drq0 anyway, but this is a bit troublesome, and I
wonder if it'll give me trouble when I try to put back in the PCIC.  Anyone
have any idea how not to lose like this?

No, dropping to the SROM debugger (does the AS200 have an SROM port?  I've
never looked) and reloading the flash and NVRAM from someone else's image
doesn't meet my definition of "how not to lose like this". :-)

Thor