Subject: Re: kernel source
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/29/1998 13:57:58
Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:49:51 +1100 (EST)
>  John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au> wrote:
>
>  > I thought that specifying the cvs date would allow anyone to checkout
>  > the sources by anon cvs and rebuild the snapshot. Is this not enough
>  > to satisfy the GPL requirement? Surely it meets the requirements of
>  > those who want/need to rebuild something in the snapshot.
>
> What if something changes 2 hours after the snapshot builder checked out
> his/her sources?

That's just discipline for the snapshot builder. IMHO it's better to
delay the release of a snapshot in order to get a "good build" from
sources unmodified in the local tree, just to avoid the need to distribute
a snapshot of source too.

> You really want the snapshot building to provide the sources he/she used.

That just loads down the mirrors that carry the snapshot.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137