Subject: ustarfs boot floppies
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/20/1998 15:41:02
Just a dumb question: How are these created?

I tried to get this working on the i386, and
while it seems to work with a simple tar file
on a single floppy, I couldn't create a multi-
volume archive.
If I understand it correctly, the volume size
must be 1432k -- 8k left for bootstrap.
So I tried
tar -c -f <tarfile> -M -l 1432 -V USTARFS <files>
But this created output files of length 1440k,
probably tar's 10k default blocksize caused this.
But if I specify a smaller blocksize, eg
-b 1
tar coredumps at the beginning of the second volume.

This is probably a tar bug, but it must have
worked for other people...

best regards
Matthias