Subject: Panic on alpha - "locking against myself"
To: 'port-alpha' <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Lindgren, Jon <jlindgren@SLK.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/16/1998 08:36:39

------_=_NextPart_001_01BE1166.3F984110

Hey there.  I ran into a panic last evening on my alpha 4/166, running
NetBSD-1.3.2 (I recompiled the kernel just to remove a few value-added
devices).  Right after mounting a disk (the mount command didn't return) I
got a panic which told me it was "locking against itself."  I have the dump
at home along with the text (sorry I can't include it in here - I'll post it
if need be).  I haven't been able to reproduce it, so I'm not incredibly
worried about it, but I did want to report it in case it can help anyone.
It was a new device that I was trying to mount (not a new piece of hardware,
just a new disk on the system), and it was an older SCSI-I device.  Is there
anywhere I should check, or is the kernel simply psychoanalyzing itself?

On a side note, is there a way to rescan the SCSI bus at runtime, to allow
adding/removing/hotswap of SCSI devices?

-Jon Lindgren
 Spear, Leeds & Kellogg
 (201) 332-3577, x4391
 jlindgren@slk.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01BE1166.3F984110

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>Panic on alpha - &quot;locking against myself&quot;</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Verdana">Hey there.&nbsp; I ran into a panic =
last evening on my alpha 4/166, running NetBSD-1.3.2 (I recompiled the =
kernel just to remove a few value-added devices).&nbsp; Right after =
mounting a disk (the mount command didn't return) I got a panic which =
told me it was &quot;locking against itself.&quot;&nbsp; I have the =
dump at home along with the text (sorry I can't include it in here - =
I'll post it if need be).&nbsp; I haven't been able to reproduce it, so =
I'm not incredibly worried about it, but I did want to report it in =
case it can help anyone.&nbsp; It was a new device that I was trying to =
mount (not a new piece of hardware, just a new disk on the system), and =
it was an older SCSI-I device.&nbsp; Is there anywhere I should check, =
or is the kernel simply psychoanalyzing itself?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Verdana">On a side note, is there a way to =
rescan the SCSI bus at runtime, to allow adding/removing/hotswap of =
SCSI devices?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">-Jon Lindgren</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;Spear, Leeds =
&amp; Kellogg</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;(201) =
332-3577, x4391</FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF" SIZE=3D2 =
FACE=3D"Arial">&nbsp;jlindgren@slk.com</FONT>
</P>