Subject: Re: multia panic
To: None <jschenck@home.com, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/15/1998 18:10:53
> From: jschenck <jschenck@home.com>
> help!
>
> i have a panic problem with my alpha. i use it strickly for ipnat.
> this seems to have started just after i configured and started
> to use the ftp portion of ipnat.conf. macine causing the panic is a
> sparc-10 running solaris-7 trying to ftp.
> anyone with an idea of what  the problem could be?
> i've included the panic,h/w conf and ipnat.conf
>
> thanks! (ps - i love netbsd/alpha, perfect gateway for my @home cable
> modem!)

	:::
	:::

Does this mean you can reproduce the panic?  Are you running a kernel
that you compiled yourself?  What you should probably do is:

	* run `make clean' in your kernel build directory
	* add
		makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"
	* run config, rebuild, reboot, make it crash, get the core dump

At this point, you can do one of two things. gzip or bzip2 both the kernel
and the core, put them up for ftp, and mail me the url's or a uuencode PLUS
the pc = ... ra = console message, OR, look at that pc and do something like
this:
	gdb netbsd.with.the.symbols
	(gdb) target kcore /var/crash/whatever
	(gdb) list *0x_the_pc_in_the_console_message

What does it say?  I suppose you could also grab new kernel sources and
rebuild a -current kernel, but that's just a shot in the dark.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to be running a tcpdump somewhere else when
it crashed...actually...on solaris you could run the snazzy snoop(1M)
program.

  --Ross Harvey