Subject: Netbsd Alpha and Multia question or two
To: alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: shsrms <shsrms@erols.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/14/1998 16:32:36
This might be a dupe (sorta) I just got confirmation that I am
subscribed to the list.  Sorry if this is a dupe.

I think I am subscribed to the mailing list.  I sent back the auth
message but have not seen the response yet.  So, I am inlcuding myself
as a cc just incase someone would like to group reply...hint hint.
I am assuming that someone out there has loaded netbsd on a multia.

Some background:
I have a few vaxen running NetBSD.  I purchased the NetBSD CD.  I have
1.3.2 running on uVIIs.

I picked up a multia from cpumicromart.  I have added keyboard, mouse,
32MB or true parity, a 3.5 inch 340MB scsi drive (Maxtor), picked up the
external scsi card/pci slot from Starship, have a monitor kind of hooked
up.  I have booted the machine, it sees the memory, it sees the mouse,
sees the floppy, sees the hard drive.

I used the alpha files on the cd to build a boot floppy.  I also
downloaded the latest floppy images from netbsd.org in
arch/alpha/current (1.3h).  Obviously I have a couple of questions.

Questions:
(I have read the faq I found thru the netbsd.org web site.  I booted the
multia, got the >>> prompt and said boot the floppy (boot dka0.0.0) and
get the info that 1.3h is loading.   After a few seconds (1-8 or so) I
get a symbol that looks like a downarrow followed by a period.  Then the
floppy led stays on, I wait for minutes and nothing else happens.)

What should the boot sequence look like and how long should it take if I
boot from a floppy?

Is the edlabel utility in the floopy boot?  If not, how do label my hard
drive - I am assuming it is there cause it is in the vax initial load
methods.  It does not quiet say it in the install write up, so maybe I
am just spazzing out or being real cautious!!

Dumb question: what is a good video monitor to use on this little
beasty?

Thanks for any help!
bob (with his NetBSD vax cluster running 1.3.2! - Falias, Finias,
Gorias, and Murias)