Subject: Re: how much memory does netbsd alpha support ?
To: None <freeman@lbpc.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/13/1998 14:40:53
> From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
>
> On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, phil freeman wrote:
>
> > i have been looking for memory and decided to get 256 Meg... will netbsd
> > support that ? what's the limit... is there one ?
> >

> Snort...
>
> My main alpha system at Feral:
  :::
> Each of the alpha platforms does have an upper limit both in terms of
> internal memory controllers and actually physical bits implemented (still
> at 40 bits even for the 21264, right Ross?)...
  :::

Heh, I run NetBSD on 512 MB systems all the time, and like they said,
those NAS guys have 2GB+ boxes. (Actually, I've run on one 6G NetBSD/alpha
system, but that was spread out over 12 processors. :-)

The EV6 (21264) has a 44 bit physical address, so with one or two bits
reserved downstream you would get 8 or 4 TB. Limitations in the core logic
and system boards will be the actual limiting factors, of course.

  --Ross Harvey