Subject: Re: panic: sio_setirqstat: hosed
To: None <murray@pa.dec.com, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/11/1998 15:59:22
> From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
>
> Could somebody please give me a lesson on this area.
  :::
>   Digital Personal WorkStation 600au, 598MHz
  :::
>   cia0: using BWX for PCI config access
>   sio_intr_setup: 1 LT!
>   sio_sis: initial: ocw = (a3,ff), elcr = ( 2,14)
>            current: ocw = (a3,ff), elcr = ( 0,14)
>   panic: sio_setirqstat: hosed
>
> I have two similar machines that don't have this problem.  They each
> have a slightly different configuration.
>
> I took a quick look at the code.  I think this has something to do
> with edge triggered vs level triggered interrupts.  I'm guessing
> that some board in this system is in a slot that's wired to the wrong
> kind of interrupt.
>
> Is there any simple way to figure out which board is causing the
> problem and/or what configurations will or won't work?

Actually, it looks to me like the problem is:

        [1] SRM is setting up the PIC daisy chain IRQ (#2) as level trig
            instead of edge (!?)

        [2] So we proceed to fix it and blunder into code that panics if the
            irq is different from the startup case. It's almost funny.

Sigh, every *$#&* Miata is a little bit different. If I'm right, it appears
that your SRM is actually a bit psycho. Here are my recommendations:

        [1] Edit arch/alpha/pci/sio_pic.c and take out the define for
            BROKEN_PROM_CONSOLE (or make it xxBROKEN_PROM_CONSOLE)

            Build a kernel this way and try it.

        [2] Update your SRM; and in fact update all three of your machines
            with the exact same SRM image. Then see if the one machine (or
            all three!) still generates the ``1 LT!'' printf. (If they
            aren't all the same then that's when I shoot myself.)

        [3] Does Digital Unix (or VMS) work on that box?

Oh, and could one of you guys at DEC get our group a Miata and/or DP264
so we can support you better? :-)

  --Ross Harvey