Subject: machine checks.
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/04/1998 01:09:21
A friend of mine recently fixed his multia, and I am testing it with
NetBSD/alpha.  I'm netbooting it from a NetBSD/i386 machine, with the
snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org.  It is getting machine checks quite often
when I try to compile anything.  Here is an example:

unexpected machine check:

    mces    = 0x1
    vector  = 0x670
    param   = 0xfffffc0000006048
    pc      = 0x1602fc194
    ra      = 0x1602fc170
    curproc = 0xfffffc00013e83c8
        pid = 344, comm = cc1

panic: machine check
syncing disks... 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 22 giv
ing up
rebooting...

Any guesses as to whether this is a hardware problem still, or a software
issue with this particular snapshot?  The machine has 2x16MB simms that were
pulled out of a 486DX4/100 machine. (they were running fine in it with 8
copies of 'eatmem' simultaneous)

If anyone suspects it is related to the snapshot, could someone build me
a multia only kernel?  The 'CANE' kernel should work.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.