Subject: Re: Multia Infant Mortality Syndrome
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/30/1998 10:24:10
[ On Fri, October 30, 1998 at 03:44:20 (-0500), Kevin D. Ogden wrote: ]
> Subject: Multia Infant Mortality Syndrome
>
> Well, it looks like my Multia bit it, probably due to that resistor pack
> thing.  It had kernel panics within 5 minutes of booting and now won't
> boot at all (not even to SRM).  I can't afford to repair it because I
> got laid off two weeks ago so if anyone wants to buy a wounded Multia
> drop me a line.
>
> This sucks :(

Hmmm... yeah.  If I were in your area I'd consider trading it for an
equivalently endowed machine (perhaps a small sparcstation) if I knew I
could repair it.  Perhaps someone near you can do that.

The part(s), if you could find it/them, are only a couple of dollers
(the chip is about $2.10, the resistor packs about $1.25, so even
accounting for retail markup they shouldn't be more than $5) plus the
hour or so of working under a magnifying glass, or finding a friend with
a surface mount rework station.  So depending on how easy it might be
for you to find the parts and possibly help to install them, you might
even be able to fix it despite your situation.

--
							Greg A. Woods