Subject: Re: FYI: remaining DEC Multia's are $99[usa]
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/30/1998 02:30:21
[ On Thu, October 29, 1998 at 23:07:08 (-0800), Ross Harvey wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FYI: remaining DEC Multia's are $99[usa]
>
> We fixed a few Multias here with 74FCT623 parts, they run even cooler than
> ABT and are made by more mfrs.

I can't find 74FCT623's listed on anyone's online catalogue any more....

> Another thing you might do: if your Multia still runs you could buy some
> thermal epoxy and heat sink it...but it will be hard...it's on the bottom
> of the card and there isn't much room to work with. A block of thermally
> conductive something ... best case: silver, copper, or aluminum ... coated
> with thermal grease and wedged between that chip and the bottom of the
> case, now that might work.

I was thinking of doing that -- just a small sheet of thin copper about
four times as large as the surface of the chip should help dissipate a
lot more energy than the plastic casing can itself.

You'd have to be a magician to wedge a block in there though, at least
without modifying the chassis -- it would be impossible to keep
positioned while sliding the card into the chassis.

--
							Greg A. Woods