Subject: Re: 1.3H kernel config?
To: None <mda@mhri.edu.au, tv@pobox.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/26/1998 13:41:22
> From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
>
> On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Matthew ALDOUS wrote:
>
> :     The question is, where do I find 1.3H snapshot
> : kernel source? I need to build a kernel with
> : options NETATALK  - and don't want to have to
> : venture into -current source.
>
> Unfortunately, you don't.  1.3H _is_ -current as of a particular date, and
> it seems that we're forgetting to make source tarballs as part of most
> platforms' snapshots.  <g>

There certainly is a valid argument that binary snapshots should have
associated source tarballs, but it's neither a foregone conclusion nor
a common practice and it's definitely not a matter of `forgetting'. :-)

Just grab:

	/pub/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz

and you will be fine...especially for the kernel, which doesn't need
the rest of the source tree.  If anyone is tracking NetBSD/alpha
via periodic installation of snapshots, all they need to do is
download source when the snapshots are posted.

  --Ross Harvey