Subject: Re: netatalk-1.4b2
To: Matthew ALDOUS <mda@mhri.edu.au>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/19/1998 10:24:57
On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Matthew ALDOUS wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Is anyone using the netatalk package out there? I'm wondering what
> is required to build a working version, under netbsd-alpha (1.3.2).
>
> ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2.tar.gz
> does not compile out of the box, for netbsd, but I've since found
> patches that make reference to netbsd...

They have a more recent version which almost supports NetBSD - there are a
few prototype errors.

We're working on a netatalk package. All it needs is shared lib support.

> ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/1.4b2-a18.diff.gz
> ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/a18-18.1.diff.gz
> ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/a18.1-18.2.diff.gz
>
>     This brings everything up to speed, but the applications
> then fail to behave as expected. (on a dual interfaced host,
> all seed zones are broadcast on every interface, and other
> weirdisms.)
>
>     Can anyone point me towards a recognised "netatalk"
> tar source for netbsd? (options NETATALK has to be in
> use somewhere.)

Why not just use Adrian's patched source code? Except for having to turn
off the PAM support, it compiled fine out of the box on my i386.

What do you mean about options NETATALK in use somewhere? options NETATAlK
is a kernel option, which turns on the kernel side of netatalk. The user
code doesn't need it, other than that it will try to use socket services
which are only there with it.

Take care,

Bill