Subject: Re: ZLXp-E2
To: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/18/1998 19:40:12
Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net> writes:
> Can you give me any pointers to get started?  Is info about the board
> available on the Web?  I'll have a try at wscons.  If I can make that
> work, then I'll have a go at the Xserver.

So, there're two issues here: "code attaches and presents a device
interface," and "code actually produces usable output in text mode."

Right now (in -current), the -E2 does the former (and probably even
provides enough ioctls to get an unaccelerated FB going with it), but
doesn't do the latter.  (It tries to draw characters, but they're
non-useful.)

I suspect that it shouldn't be hard to get X working with the -E2 in
unaccelerated cfb mode, assuming the X server works at all with the
new wscons bits these days (does it?).  However, performance will
suck.

cgd