Subject: Re: ZLXp-E2
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/18/1998 21:12:46
> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:25:37 -0500
>  Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.tmi.net> wrote:
>
> <rant>
>
>  > Great!  How soon can you have it ready?
>
> That's not a terribly productive attitude, unfortunately.

Yeah, I shouldn't have sent that.  Just expressing frustration.  I'm
sorry.

[...]

> NetBSD doesn't panic anymore.  I fixed that.  It took all of an hour
> to write the necessary code, given the BT-463 manual.

Great!  I was hoping that much was ready, I just haven't tried again yet.

> And, if wscons doesn't work on the card, then X won't either.
>
> You see, the Linux X server doesn't work under NetBSD.  NetBSD uses
> completely different methods to access the frame buffer.  This issue
> has been discussed for a long time.  Check the archives.

I suppose that means the patch is not applicable at all?

> Of course, no one has stepped up to do the work.  Most notably, those
> who want it the most (judging by how vocal they are) haven't put forth
> any effort into making it happen.

[...]

> I think you'll find that the situation will improve at a much faster rate
> if you put forth some effort into fixing it.

Can you give me any pointers to get started?  Is info about the board
available on the Web?  I'll have a try at wscons.  If I can make that
work, then I'll have a go at the Xserver.