Subject: Re: ZLXp-E2
To: wob@luvewe.ops.us.eglobe.com, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zelux6.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/18/1998 21:30:55
Excerpts from netbsd: 18-Oct-98 Re: ZLXp-E2 Jason Thorpe@nas.nasa.go (619)

> The code to talk to the RAMDAC is more-or-less there, but someone needs
> to teach the wscons raster code about 24-bit framebuffers.

I'm not too glad with the raster code. It's slow -- ok, this
could be improved with some acceleration hooks or perhaps
a smaller font. The color support is worse - it has no notion
about a background color (there is a "0" hardwired) and it
is impossible to draw text with foreground color "0", so
more advanced terminal emulations will not work.
For virtual screen support, it is better to save the character
codes displayed on a screen instead of the whole image,
but this doesn't fit into the code's layering.

I'd prefer a complete replacement.

best regards
Matthias