Subject: Questions about X11 support
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/14/1998 00:42:06
Well,

The question is, I have an S3 card in my Alpha, and I have not
noticed X support, so is anyone working on this?  If so, what is
the progress, if not how would I go about doing it?

I've been scanning the code, and it looks like if I hack
xsrc/xc/config/cf/NetBSD.cf so that the alpha #includes <xfree86.cf>
and xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/xfree86/os-support/bsd/* a bit to try
to mmap /dev/ttyE0 (like the OpenBSD ARC stuff in there (on
/dev/ttyC0)), and then hack sys/dev/ic/vga.c to mmap the `right'
things...  The amiga port seems to also mmap in the regs and linear
space, using the offset to decide which to mmap.

So the questions are:
	o Am I completely heading down the wrong path?
	o What major pains am I overlooking?

Anyway, I am not going to make any promises, since I don't have
enough free time, but I'd like to at least get something working
on my machine...

 == Roland
 == http://www.imrryr.org/~elric/