Subject: Re: network throughput problems continue
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@mit.edu>
From: Ron G. Minnich <rminnich@sarnoff.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/04/1998 16:46:25
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> Note: An interface in full-duplex mode doesn't do collision detection
> (although it's possible it may detect a collision jam pattern from
> another host).  Clearly there is something wrong here.

> > The machine with the de0 shows the following:
> > Name  Mtu   Network       Address              Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts
> > Oerrs  Coll
> > de0   1500  <Link>        00:c0:f0:31:61:5a   115046   177    90353
> > 3     0
> > de0   1500  130.33.112/21 130.33.113.32       115046   177    90353
> > 3     0
> >
> > so O(100K) packets, 0 collisions, 177 Ierrs. Things seem to work right,
> > just very slowly.
>
> The large number of ierrs is indicative of late or undetected
> collisions.

is 117 ierrs out of 115046 Ipkts a large number? (serious question, I
don't know).

> I think it's pretty clear that your fxp0 is not in full-duplex mode.

Maybe, I don't know. The problem is, the full duplex light is lit on the
de0, so it clearly is in full duplex mode, and the poor performance
continues.

> I'd suggest you compile a new ifconfig(8) first.  What you should see
> from ifconfig is:
can someone ship me a binary? I can't get it to compile, and am running
out of time on this ... we have some work to get done. I'll be glad to
try this one more time, but we're cutting the whole shebang over to linux
tuesday.

many thanks to this list for all your help. I am not giving up on netbsd
at this point, just for the next few weeks while we finish this project up.

ron